Larry Ball

       



Profile

Larry Ball was a linebacker for the Miami Dolphins, Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1970s.  Born in Iowa City he attended Louisville before the pros.  If you are really up on your NFL history, you'll note that Miami and Tampa Bay are unique in the 1970s by have the only undefeated season (Miami) and a winless team (Tampa Bay).  In fact, Larry is the only player to play the full season for both teams*.  

* Something you don't see anymore, one other Dolphin was drafted in the expansion draft by Tampa, but retired instead of playing with Tampa.  He opted to go to med school instead.

Personal Notes

So when I'm at a card show (sigh, I miss those), I did through a  lot of dime boxes.  When I run into a cluster of 1970s cards, I typically flip them over and go through the bio data, specifically college and birth place.  I can't always remember the older guys (although I am getting better), so I'll catch an Eddie Watt or Ken Henderson card this way.  However, this bio info is really inconsistent throughout the years/sets.  I have one Larry Ball card, and it lists his hometown instead of birth place.  Hometown is weird, because it typically is where the player is playing.  Joe Morgan lives in Cincinnati and plays for Cincinnati.  Birth place is so much more interesting and useful to me.  Anyway, shoutout to the employees who compile this information.






Collection Notes

I have 1/3 (33%) cards in my collection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 NFL Iowa Connections