Orville and Wilber Wright

       



Profile

Orville and Wilber Wright were two brothers who started a popcorn company* which many of us still pop today.  Ok, maybe not, but I'm sure you probably already know who these two are.  Born in Indiana (Wilber) and Ohio (Orville), the brothers had a bike shop in Dayton**, Ohio before taking that historic flight in North Carolina.  Their father, Milton, was a bishop with the church and they lived in many places growing up, none more important (at least to this blog) that the three years the family spent in Cedar Rapids.  Orville Wright wrote that "in Cedar Rapids that the brothers got the spark to investigate flying concepts after their father brought home a toy helicopter that could fly on its own."

* I am of course referring to Orville Redenbacher here

** Dayton was Orville's birthplace and the location of the brothers bicycle shop where they developed their balancing skills needed for flight 

Personal Notes

As a current resident of Dayton and former Iowa resident, it delighted me to no end that these touchstones of aviation history have a connection to both.  In fact, I had already started to collect the two brothers when I discovered their Iowa connection.  



Collection Notes

I have 3/137 (2%) cards in my collection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 NFL Iowa Connections