TCDB Kirby Puckett Project: 1991

 Somehow I ended up with a binder with just 1991 cards in it.  So I'm not going to make big strides here, but that's ok.  1991 was a pretty significant year for Kirby Puckett, as that was the year that the Twins won their second World Series in 5 seasons. I barely remember 1987, but 1991 is burned in my brain.  Even the fact that I slept through a bunch of Game 7, but was definitely awake for the end.  Game 6 was the Kirby Game, with a leaping catch against the plexiglass and the game-winning home run in extras to win it.  



By 1991 the cards you find in the checklist are starting to become a bit more uniform.  Less unlicensed cards, less drug store cards, and more national sets and inserts.  O-Pee-Chee is becoming its own set, Topps stamped their cards with Desert Storm foil for the troops, and Upper Deck apparently ran out of foil for the backs of their cards and used 1990 and 1992 foils.



So, TCDB focuses on cards for a player, but that's not exclusive.  There are coins, window clings, post cards, playing cards, stickers and even Good Humor popsicle sticks!  I don't know the rules on what gets included (more faqs reading for me I suppose), but I wonder if magazines are more important to a collection that popsicle sticks.  Or Starting Lineup figures?  Costacos Bros posters or poster cards?  




370 cards puts me in 32nd place.  2022 marks the 40th year that Puckett has cards, and 1991 would be his 9th.  So I'm about a quarter of the way and I've got about 8.7%.  

Comments

  1. I had no idea he had so many cards! And yeah, I wonder sometimes too about some of the stuff you find listed in a players catalogue, especially the non paper items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my collection I have Wheaties boxes, Pancake mix bags, and all other sorts of weird stuff. But they are not cards so I wonder sometimes what that cutoff is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2023 NFL Iowa Connections