2022 Topps Series One: There is only one

 This week is the official start of the 2022 MLB season with the drop of Topps Series One.  There is 330 cards in the base set, probably a bunch of SPs and SSPs that will become apparent soon.  Its always exciting to get the new Topps set because it always holds so much promise.  Rookie cards of players you haven't seen on cardboard yet, players on new teams, etc. 

However, this year the common refrain online has been complaints about the weak checklist for Series One.  The complaint is that there is only one player to chase.  From what I can tell looking at the base checklist, I agree with this sentiment.

THERE IS ONLY ONE IOWA CONNECTION AND HIS NAME IS MITCH KELLER!



Now I know I've only seen the base and clear checklists, and perhaps Bob Feller (a often seen Topps staple) will be in an insert set or as a SP.  I doubt that we see any others until Series Two.

The best Iowa Connections options for Series 2 are:

Michael Wacha

Nick Allgeyer

Erik Swanson

Colin Rea

Derek Hill

Tony Watson (a Update staple)

A.J. Puk


It is getting pretty brutal out there for Iowa Connections in MLB.  In past decade we've hovered around 11-12 per year. They peaked in the early 70s around 30 connections a year.  Its getting so bad that I'm starting to wonder if playing for one of the minor league teams in Iowa will start to count (..mental note, just remember that Mike Trout played for Cedar Rapids and you'd have to mortgage your house to collect him..).

Anyway, when I pull the Wander Franco Gold (hey, I'm not greedy, I don't need the Clear or Platinum), I hope to be able to flip it for some sweet Keller base. 😁



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 NFL Iowa Connections